Peel and stick backsplashes have become increasingly popular in recent years as an easy and affordable way to upgrade your kitchen or bathroom. Often made from materials like vinyl, peel and stick backsplashes come on rolls or sheets that you can simply cut to size, peel off the backing, and stick to your existing backsplash area or wall. They provide an instant facelift without the mess, labor, and cost of traditional tile or stone backsplashes. If you’re looking for an easy DIY project to update your home, read on to find out where you can find peel and stick backsplash options.
Where to Buy Peel and Stick Backsplash
Home Improvement Stores
The most convenient and affordable place to find peel and stick backsplash tiles or panels is at your local home improvement store. Stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s have entire sections dedicated to backsplash products where you can browse various styles, materials, colors and patterns. The great thing about home improvement stores is you can buy just what you need for your specific project. Products come in a range of dimensions from 4 x 8 inch tiles to larger one-piece panels. You’ll also find helpful buying guides and installation instructions.
Another great option is to shop online retailers that specialize in backsplash and wall tiles. Sites like Wayfair, Overstock, and Amazon have a huge selection of peel and stick backsplash panels and tiles. Shopping online gives you the advantage of being able to view and compare hundreds of options with just a few clicks. Many retailers offer free shipping or discounted rates. Make sure to check product dimensions and reviews before purchasing.
Kitchen and Bath Showrooms
For high-quality, unique, or customized peel and stick backsplash products, visit a kitchen and bath showroom. Many showrooms partner directly with manufacturers or designers to offer exclusive patterns and materials. You can get help from knowledgeable staff to find the perfect style for your space. Options may be pricier than big box stores but are often thicker and more durable.
Check out manufacturer websites of popular peel and stick backsplash brands like Art3d, Smart Tiles, Lifetime Luxury, and NuWallpaper. When you buy direct, you can take advantage of any sales or promotions. Most sites have online design tools to preview products in your space. Samples may be available so you can get quality feel before fully committing. Keep in mind lead times and shipping costs from ordering directly.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing
- Material – Vinyl is the most affordable and versatile. PVC and plastic-based materials resist water. Stone and metal-look tiles add natural visual interest.
- Dimensions – Measure your space and account for pattern layouts. Many come in standard 12 x 12 inch tiles. Larger panels mean less seams.
- Adhesive type – Look for low VOC and water-resistant adhesives. Some stickers may not adhere well to textured walls.
- Removability – Consider if you want long-lasting permanent installation or something removable for future change.
- Price – Prices range from $1 – $10 per square foot. Stay within your project budget.
- Ease of installation – Many are truly peel and stick. Others require additional adhesive or grout. Factor in your DIY skills.
Benefits of Peel and Stick Backsplash
- Fast and easy DIY installation. Just measure, peel, stick and trim.
- Affordable option versus traditional tile or stone. Great for renters.
- Clean, modern look. Available in countless colors, styles and textures.
- Removable and reusable. Easy to change down the road.
- No grout or mess to deal with. Minimal tools or skill needed.
- Water and stain resistant. Great for kitchens and bathrooms.
- Lighter weight than ceramic tile. Won’t damage walls.
Where to Install Peel and Stick Backsplash
Peel and stick backsplash is suitable for most dry indoor walls including:
- Kitchen – protects wall above counters and range. Freshens look of dated kitchen.
- Bathroom – install around mirrors, sinks or tub/shower walls.
- Laundry/mud rooms – water resistant material handles splashes.
- Bar/drinks area – stylish accent; protects wall behind bar sink.
- Fireplace – decorate wall around mantle with stone or brick looks.
- Accent walls – makeover entryway, hallway or any blank wall.
- Rental units – add personality without permanent renovations.
- Basements – brightens unfinished walls affordably.
How to Install Peel and Stick Backsplash
Installing peel and stick backsplash tiles or panels is a relatively easy DIY project. Follow these basic steps:
- Clean the target wall thoroughly and make sure it is smooth. Fill any holes or cracks with spackle.
- Map out the tile layout using a level and tape to mark where each tile will go. Cut any perimeter tiles to fit.
- Remove adhesive backing and press tiles or panels firmly to the wall. Smoothe for maximum adhesion.
- Use a utility knife to trim off any excess material along the edges or around outlets.
- If using groutable material, apply grout between seams following package directions.
- Seal perimeter edges with silicone caulk for moisture protection.
- Enjoy your new upgraded backsplash look in no time!
Frequently Asked Questions
What surfaces can it stick to?
Peel and stick backsplash adheres best to smooth, clean and dry walls like painted drywall, plaster, tile, laminate, or paneling. Textured walls make application harder.
Can you get it wet?
Most vinyl and plastic-based peel and stick tiles resist moisture. However, water should not be directly sprayed for prolonged periods. Make sure to caulk edges.
How long does it last?
With proper installation and care, peel and stick backsplash can last 3-5 years or longer before needing replacement. Avoid abrasive cleaners that can damage surface.
Is peel and stick removable?
Many products are designed to be easily removable, reusable and repositionable. However, some permanent adhesives make removal nearly impossible without damaging walls.
Can I install it over existing tile?
Yes, you can install peel and stick tiles or panels directly over existing backsplash tile. Just ensure the surface is smooth, clean and well adhered before application.
Peel and stick backsplash provides an easy and affordable way to refresh the look of your kitchen or any room. The best places to find quality peel and stick backsplash products are home improvement stores, online retailers, kitchen showrooms or directly through manufacturers. Be sure to consider factors like materials, dimensions, adhesives and ease of installation when shopping. With a few simple steps, you can achieve beautiful new backsplash results in no time.