Gray bathroom vanities can add an elegant and sophisticated touch to any bathroom design. While white and neutral vanities are classic, gray brings a moodier, cooler tone that stands out. Gray vanities complement both contemporary and traditional bathrooms, pairing well with whites and neutrals as well as bolder colors. From pale dove grays to dramatic charcoals, there are many stunning shades to choose from. Here are some elegant and cool gray bathroom vanity ideas to inspire your next remodel.
Why Choose a Gray Vanity?
Gray is an on-trend color right now in home decor and design. More complex than basic white, gray brings depth and interest to bathroom vanities and cabinets. Here are some of the benefits of choosing a gray vanity:
- Provides contrast – Gray vanities stand out against white tiles, walls and fixtures for added drama. The color also contrasts well with wood tones in traditional bathrooms.
- Cool and calming – Lighter shades of gray can create a peaceful oasis in your bathroom. The color is soothing and works well with spa-like designs.
- Moody and modern – Charcoal and darker grays have an edgy, sophisticated look. They give contemporary bathrooms a bold, fashionable vibe.
- Flexible – Gray can be adapted to many different design aesthetics, from modern to traditional. It pairs with a wide range of materials and colors.
- Makes a statement – Without being overpowering, gray vanities make an elegant statement and become a focal point. They provide more personality than plain white.
Whether you want your gray vanity to blend in or stand out, there are so many chic ways to incorporate this versatile shade.
Stylish Gray Vanity Ideas
From Quartz to wood, there are countless options for gray vanity designs. Consider the look you want to achieve as you select a material and shade. Here are some stunning styles to inspire you:
1. Light Gray Quartz Vanity
- Quartz is a popular choice for bathroom vanities right now. Made from crushed stone and resin, it has a natural look with tones of gray. A light gray quartz vanity has an organic, earthy vibe.
- Pair light gray quartz with driftwood accents and neutral tiles. Textured wood shelving and matte black fixtures will complement the vanity.
- Pros of quartz: durable, stain-resistant and non-porous. Cons are that quartz can be pricey. But its long lifespan makes it a good investment.
2. Bold Charcoal Shaker Style Vanity
- For a bold, dramatic look, opt for a dark charcoal gray shaker vanity. Shaker style vanities have a clean, simple design highlighted by vertical grain wood panels.
- Charcoal gray stain over oak or maple wood creates a dark, moody shaker vanity. Contrast with brass hardware and lighting for an elegant touch.
- Pair with creamy white quartz countertops and backsplash. Throw in some pops of gold decor and citrusy green plants for a vibrant, eclectic vibe.
3. Rustic Gray Wood Vanity
- Distressed, weathered gray wood makes for a rustic, farmhouse-inspired vanity with loads of charm. Opt for a light gray wash over barn wood or reclaimed lumber.
- Accent with galvanized metal hardware, round vessel sinks, and accent walls with white shiplap planks and exposed beams. Succulent plants also enhance the rustic aesthetic.
- A gray washed wood vanity is perfect for vintage cottage-style bathrooms. Just add lace curtains, fresh flowers and antique picture frames on the walls.
4. Contemporary Gray and White Vanity
- For contemporary bathrooms, a gray and white color scheme creates a sleek, stylish look. Choose a glossy gray vanity with clean lines juxtaposed against bright white walls.
- Floating gray vanities with hidden storage are a hot trend that maximizes floor space. Consider open shelving in white against the gray base for towels and toiletries.
- Finish the modern vibe with asymmetrical white vessel sinks, frameless mirrors and matte black metal fixtures. White and gray geometric floor tiles also keep the look current.
5. Transitional Gray Vanity with Marble Top
- For those wanting a transitional style between traditional and contemporary, a gray wood vanity with marble countertop is perfect.
- Opt for a warm gray stain over cherry or mahogany wood. Then pair with dramatic marble veining such as Carrara or Calacatta marble.
- Accent with polished chrome fixtures, sconce lighting, and a decorative mirror frame. Faux greenery, candles and ceramic accessories finish this elegant transitional look.
Choosing the Right Gray Shade
One of the hardest choices is deciding which shade of gray to use for your vanity. Cool grays have blue/green undertones, while warm grays take on beige or brown hues. Here are some popular shades to consider:
- Dove gray – The lightest shade, dove gray has a soft, peaceful ambiance. Use it in bathrooms meant to be calm and relaxing.
- Heather gray – Slightly deeper than dove gray, heather has more noticeable gray tones for a cozier vibe.
- Greige – A mix of gray and beige, greige walks the line between cool and warm for a versatile, neutral shade.
- Charcoal – On the darker end, charcoal gray is dramatic and bold. Use it sparingly to make the vanity a statement.
- Graphite – A cool, medium depth gray that pairs well with whites and blues. Graphite has an elegant, tailored look.
The light in your bathroom will impact how these shades appear. View gray vanity samples in person before deciding. Next, think about countertops, floors, walls and accents. Gray is endlessly versatile, so have fun mixing and matching cool grays with warm woods, gleaming metals or marble.
Gray Vanity Ideas for Bathroom Styles
Not sure where to start? Think about the decor style you want for your bathroom. Here are some inspiring ways to incorporate a gray vanity for popular bathroom styles:
Contemporary Gray Vanity Ideas
- Floating gray vanities – Cantilevered off the wall, floating vanities are hallmarks of contemporary style. Go for glossy charcoal gray over a white tile backsplash.
- Gray and white color scheme – Restrict your palette to just gray and white for a crisp, modern look. Add in sleek metallics for sheen.
- Angular shapes – Rectilinear vessel sinks, square tiles and sconces with geometric shapes enhance the contemporary vibe.
- Creative patterns – Make a statement with gray floor tile laid in a herringbone, chevron or geometric design.
- Industrial accents – Matte black fixtures, metal shelves, galvanized hardware and exposed pipes add industrial edge.
Traditional Gray Vanity Ideas
- Ornate detailing – Look for carved legs, raised panel doors, crown molding and decorative hardware for traditional refinement.
- Elegant materials – Opt for painted or stained solid wood, beautiful granite, natural stone and marble. Brass hardware also fits traditional style.
- Wallpapered accent wall – Make the vanity pop with vintage inspired floral, damask or toile patterned wallpaper behind it.
- Persian rug – Pull in a classic Persian rug to complement the gray vanity and tie in ornate traditional styling.
- Vintage artwork – Black and white botanical prints in gilded frames accent the space with old-world charm.
Farmhouse Gray Vanity Ideas
- Distressed woods – Opt for weathered barn wood or gray washed reclaimed planks to get a worn farmhouse look.
- Apron front sink – An apron front sink in fireclay, porcelain or enameled cast iron enhances the rustic farmhouse vibe.
- Open shelving – For cottage charm, display rolled towels and soaps in wire baskets on open shelves flanking the vanity.
- Galvanized metal – Utilize touches of galvanized metal in buckets, culinary racks and canisters for rustic flair.
- Floral accents – Wicker baskets overflowing with fresh flowers along with botanical art prints boost the cottage charm.
Transitional Gray Vanity Ideas
- Mix of materials – Blend wood, marble, granite, quartz and metallics like brushed bronze and antique brass.
- Neutral color scheme – Layer dove gray with cream, beige and brown tones. Then accent with black and white for a harmonious blend.
- Pendant lighting – Suspended light fixtures in black, brass or chrome provide an elegant transitional look.
- Textured linens – Use woven, tufted and embroidered bath towels and rugs for depth and interest.
- Big mirror – Make a statement with a wide rectangular or oval mirror framed in wood or metal over the gray vanity.
FAQs About Gray Bathroom Vanities
Still have questions about using a gray vanity in your bathroom remodel? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
What color should walls be with a gray vanity?
Gray vanities pair beautifully with crisp white, beige, light blue and even bold navy walls. White is classic to create contrast and a spacious look. Soft blue-gray walls complement the vanity nicely for a soothing vibe.
What color backsplash looks good with a gray vanity?
White subway tile or quartz surfaces make perfect backsplashes for gray vanities. They keep the focus on the beautiful vanity. Alternatives like beige and gray marble also blend well. Add some drama with Moroccan fish scale tiles or metallic tiles.
What color floors go with a gray vanity?
Light or medium hardwood floors suit gray vanities in warmth. Keep things neutral yet interesting with gray and white marbled vinyl plank floors. Bold black and white geometric floor tile makes an exciting mix too.
What color hardware should I use on a gray bathroom vanity?
Matte black, oil-rubbed bronze and brushed brass hardware pair wonderfully with gray vanities. Silver/nickel and polished chrome also pop nicely against gray. Or match hardware to countertops like white quartz or marble.
Should I get a gray quartz or granite countertop?
Quartz offers more light gray options that seamlessly blend with a gray vanity. Granite leans warm but has dramatic gray veining in slabs like Steel Gray. Marble like Carrara adds pretty white and gray swirls. It comes down to your preferred look.
What sheen should I get for a gray vanity?
The finish impacts a gray vanity’s look significantly. Matte and satin finishes are popular for their smooth subtlety. Glossy lacquer makes gray pop brightly. Distressed styles work for gray too. Ultimately choose a sheen that suits your design style.
Elegant and Cool Gray Vanity Ideas
Gray vanities offer so many possibilities, from pale and serene to deep charcoal sophistication. By thoughtfully selecting a gray shade and style in line with your desired bathroom look, you can create an elegant, cool focal point. Always sample gray stains and paint colors in person before fully committing. Be adventurous with materials, textures, metals and accent colors as you design your gray vanity dream bathroom.
Gray bathroom vanities provide an on-trend, stylish alternative to predictable white vanities. From weathered wood to sleek lacquered contemporary designs, they allow you to infuse color while maintaining a calm, neutral vibe. Lighter grays invigorate and refresh while deeper charcoals create moodiness and drama. By thoughtfully selecting a gray shade, material, countertop and hardware in line with your bathroom’s overall aesthetic, you can design an elegant, contemporary gray vanity space that serves as a beautiful focal point. With an abundance of cool gray vanity ideas to choose from, you are sure to find one that brings out your bathroom’s full style potential.